Looking to satisfy your sweet tooth with a unique tea experience? The Taro Milk Tea, an irresistibly delectable Taiwanese beverage made from taro root and milk, has been stealing hearts around the world.
In this article, you will learn how to make this creamy purple delight at home using fresh or powdered taro, discover some must-try taro tea shops for when you’re out and about, and explore fun variations of the classic recipe.
Keep reading – a whole new level of tasty awaits!
Making Taro Milk Tea at Home
Learn how to make delicious taro milk tea right in the comfort of your own home with these easy recipes using fresh taro or taro powder.
Taro Milk Tea Recipe with Fresh Taro
Preparing a fresh taro milk tea from scratch is rewarding and healthier. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to achieve this:
- Start by sourcing fresh taro root from a local grocery store or Asian market.
- Peel and chop the fresh taro root into cubes.
- Boil these taro cubes until they become soft, typically for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse the cooked taro then mash it to create your own taro paste.
- Combine one cup of black tea with one cup of milk in a pot over medium heat.
- Stir in two tablespoons of the homemade taro paste along with your desired amount of sugar.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for about 10 minutes before removing from heat.
- Strain your concoction and serve it hot or chill it in the refrigerator for later.
Taro Milk Tea Recipe with Taro Powder
To make Taro Milk Tea with taro powder, you will need the following ingredients:
- Taro powder
- Milk (regular or dairy – free alternatives like almond milk or coconut milk)
- Sweetener (sugar, honey, or a sugar substitute)
- Ice cubes
- In a saucepan, heat some water until it reaches a simmer.
- Gradually add the taro powder while stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
- Keep stirring until the taro powder is fully dissolved and the mixture becomes smooth.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and let the mixture cool down.
- In a blender, combine the cooled taro mixture, milk of your choice, sweetener, and ice cubes.
- Blend everything together until well mixed and frothy.
- Taste the mixture and adjust sweetness if needed by adding more sweetener.
- Pour the Taro Milk Tea into glasses or cups and serve chilled.
Best Taro Milk Tea Shops
Top 10 Best Taro Bubble Tea in Washington, DC
Washington, DC, is an amazing place to find some of the best taro bubble tea. Whether you like it sweet, creamy or with extra boba, these top ten shops will not disappoint.
|1. Kung Fu Tea
|1529 14th St NW, Washington, DC 20005
|Known for their wide selection of flavors including a rich taro bubble tea with creamy texture and sweet, almost nutty taste.
|1399 New York Ave NW, Washington, DC 20005
|Offers a satisfying taro pearl milk tea made with taro powder, green tea, milk creamer, and tapioca pearls.
|3. Boba King
|1015 U St NW, Washington, DC 20001
|Their taro milk tea is well-loved for its creamy consistency and sweet flavor.
|400 8th St NW, Washington, DC 20004
|Offers a refreshing and less sweet taro milk tea that appeals to those looking to cut down on sugar.
|5. Gong Cha
|9882 Georgia Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20902
|Popular for their coconut taro milk tea which is a unique twist on the traditional taro milk tea.
|2112 G St NW, Washington, DC 20052
|Notable for their taro bubble tea that can be enjoyed as a smoothie or milkshake.
|1326 Park Rd NW, Washington, DC 20010
|They offer a delicious taro milk tea made from fresh taro paste.
|8. Boba and Bites
|11 Missouri Ave NW, Washington, DC 20011
|Renowned for their bubble tea offerings, especially their taro milk tea which is a customer favorite.
|9. Ten Ren’s Tea Time
|7414 Little River Turnpike, Annandale, VA 22003
|Offers a wide variety of bubble tea flavors with their taro bubble tea being one of the crowd favorites.
|1134 19th St NW, Washington, DC 20036
|Well-known for their taro milk tea with boba pearls that are always perfectly chewy.
It’s time to go out and explore these fantastic taro milk tea spots in Washington, DC. Whether you’re a taro bubble tea lover or a newbie, these shops will surely give you an experience to remember. Enjoy!
Taro Milk Tea Variations and Toppings
Coconut Taro Milk Tea
Coconut Taro Milk Tea is a delightful variation of the classic taro milk tea, adding a delicious tropical twist. This refreshing and creamy beverage combines the rich flavors of taro with the smoothness of coconut milk.
The result is a unique blend of sweet and nutty notes that will transport you to a sunny beach getaway.
Whether you prefer it hot or iced, this coconut-infused version of taro milk tea is sure to satisfy your cravings for something exotic and comforting.
So sit back, relax, and indulge in the irresistible taste of Coconut Taro Milk Tea – a tropical escape in every sip.
Different Toppings for Taro Milk Tea
Taro milk tea can be enjoyed with various toppings to enhance its flavor and texture. Here are some different toppings you can try with your taro milk tea:
- Tapioca Pearls: Also known as boba, these chewy pearls add a fun and satisfying element to your taro milk tea.
- Grass Jelly: This herbal jelly is made from mesona chinensis leaves and has a subtly sweet and refreshing taste.
- Popping Boba: These colorful juice-filled balls burst in your mouth, adding a burst of flavor and texture to your taro milk tea.
- Coconut Jelly: Made from coconut water, this jelly has a delicate coconut flavor that pairs well with the creamy taro milk tea.
- Aloe Vera: The soft, gel-like texture of aloe vera adds a unique twist to your taro milk tea, along with its health benefits.
- Red Bean: Sweetened red beans provide a delightful contrast to the creamy taro milk tea, creating a delicious combination.
- Lychee Jelly: These translucent jellies have a sweet and floral taste that complements the smoothness of taro milk tea.
- Chia Seeds: These tiny seeds give your taro milk tea an interesting texture while offering nutritional benefits like fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
Discover the best taro milk tea for a creamy, sweet, and nutty flavor explosion. Whether you prefer it as a bubble tea, fresh milk tea, smoothie, or milkshake, there are endless ways to enjoy this delicious beverage.
Say goodbye to caffeine cravings and indulge in the unique taste of taro today.